Landlords: What You Need To Know About Gas Safety

As a landlord you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants, part of this legal responsibility is ensuring proper gas safety. A gas safety certificate is required for all rental accommodation in the UK so all bodies concerned can be sure gas appliances, fittings and flues are functional and safe. Failure to adhere to these regulations is a criminal offence. Gas safety is high priority for the HSE as failure to comply can be deadly. Don’t risk lives and don’t risk prison, familiarise yourself with your responsibilities and keep on top of gas safety.

What Kind Of Rental Accommodation Is Applicable

Landlord responsibilities cover a variety of accommodation types including:

• Private or council let residential properties
• Let rooms in private households, bed-sits and commercial premises such as hotels and bed and breakfasts
• Temporary or rented holiday accommodation such as: cottages, chalets, flats, caravans and narrow boats

Essentially if you own and/or rent out any type of property you are responsible for making sure they are gas safe.

What Are Your Responsibilities?

There are 3 main categories of responsibility for landlords:

• Maintenance – All gas pipework, flues and appliances must be well maintained and repaired when necessary. Adhere to the maintenance guidelines submitted by the manufacturer on all appliances to keep on top of their condition (if you are unsure of the guidelines then ensure they are serviced annually).
• Gas Safety Checks – An annual gas safety check must be carried out annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer on all gas appliances as well as within 12 months of purchase of any new appliance.
• Record – You must provide a record of your annual gas safety check to your tenants within 28 days of completion as well as to new tenants upon their moving in. You must keep your record of gas safety checks for 2 years.

The Importance Of A Gas Safe Registered Engineer

Only Gas Safe registered engineers are legally allowed to perform maintenance and safety checks on gas appliances, flues and pipework. Gas Safe registered engineers all carry an ID cards which specify the areas they are qualified to work in.

Here at Unitary Engineering Services our expert team of Gas Safe registered engineers are fully qualified to undertake maintenance, checks and repairs on any gas appliances within leased properties. For more information on any of our services get in touch today on 0117 955 8364 or online to speak to a member of out team.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted on: